Saturday 18 June 2011

Waiting For The Bus

I write this as I stare blankly at the road, waiting for the familiar groan and puff as the bus comes up the hill. The wind blows on my face, but my scarf protects me well. Next to me is a woman, looking this way and that, anxious for the bus to get here. I just sit there, and do what I like doing, think.

We all have those times when we have a spare moment just to think. Usually it is forced upon us. I think it is ironic that however organised we are, there are still gaps in our timetables. So much so that a good organiser doesn't try and fill these, but they work around them. Some scientist has probably proven that if we didn't have those small times of doing nothing, we would not function properly, it acts as a buffer for all the information we get during the day.

When we have these spare moments though, what are we thinking? It's easy to complain, like the bus is late, or to worry about what will happen. But why don't we appreciate it more? Why don't we take it as a blessing?




That was what I wrote when I waited for the bus.

But something is wrong with that... While I wrote that on my iPod, I was cutting myself from everyone else. That woman, why didn't I just have a nice conversation? She might have needed a smile, something to lighten her day, but all she got from me was a blank look as I stared at my iPod. I think and like to encourage people, but do I ever do it in real life? To people I know, yes. But it takes more courage to just be that little more nicer to that stranger you have never met. And, I am never courageous enough.

I want to be able to talk to people, I am always amazed at my friends who will start up a conversation with anyone. I don't mind talking to people, but it will never be me who starts the conversation. I usually want to talk to someone, but never get the courage to speak, so I just wait until they say something to me.

This kind of thing can be seen as personality and all that, but from a different angle, it is just plain selfishness. For me, I don't want to put myself out on the line, maybe to get rejected, I don't want to sacrifice anything, by talking to a stranger. For two strangers to talk, one usually has to step out of their comfort zone. Next time, I hope I can remember that and be that stranger.


So, how was your day?

6 comments:

  1. What you've said is so true - we find it so difficult to build relationships...taking that step..putting ourselves out on a limb is quite hard. On that note (since we are strangers!) allow me to introduce myself :) I'm Ruth, from India...and I stumbled across your blog while looking for Christian blogs to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ruth. Wow, I am still amazed that people from all over the world are reading my blog.
    Putting our selves out there is quite hard, but I forgot to mention that if we do, we benefit from it so much. Friends are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your reticence! And also your desire to engage more. In recent years I have been practising... I generally try something completely innocuous - "I wonder if the bus will be on time" "That wind bites doesn't it?" An invitation to conversation rather than a blindingly brilliant icebreaker. The other can then reciprocate or not. Nothing lost on our part if they don't. But satisfying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post gave me some food for thought.Usually when I am flying somewhere I just read a good book. However, a few times I have had great conversations with someone and regret that I have to end it. I am trying to be more outgoing and friendly when I get in a situation like you have described.
    Blessings for the thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so right in your thinking! So often we stay inside our little box because we are comfortable. When we do engage more often there is a real reward to doing so. Like you mentioned earlier sometimes it's just a simple smile, yet you really don't fully understand the effects it may have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice article .. sometimes we need step out in our box .. to experience and to be learned ..

    ReplyDelete