Saturday 28 May 2011

Praying with my eyes open

I sometimes pray with my eyes open. It is usually when I don't feel like praying. When I think that I need to sort my mind out before bringing it before God.

It seemed a natural thing to do. God didn't want to hear my thoughts as a tangle of mess. Writing it down now, I realize how wrong I was. God is the one who helps me untangle my thoughts. Without him, I would be in a total mess.

Going further, isn't that my excuse when I read the verse "pray continuously" 1 thes. 5:17? I think, "God just heard what's happening in my life, I don't want to overload him with information!" Again, I am very far from the truth.

God loves it when we keep him in our lives always. When we keep him out, we aren't doing anything good for ourselves. As always, God knows better. With him in perspective, worldly things are given a shove from God down the ladder of importance. They aren't erased all together, but they become less stressful. This usually means we can get on and do whatever we thought was "way too hard", because now we understand, God is there for us even if we fail.

So, now I think I should actually pray with my eyes open. Because, I should be praying; talking to God; all the time.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting! When I am at church and have my eyes open I end up looking around the room- i think keeping them closed helps me focus!

    Stopping by from Comment Love Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, constant pray will def. help untangle the mess of life. :)

    Happy Comment Love Day!

    http://carrigansjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago, after moving to Southern Oregon, I began attending a church which spends the summer months outdoors. This is where I first began praying with my eyes open because it just seemed natural to life my face towards the sky, or to look at the beautiful trees and flowers around me as I was speaking to the One who created it all!

    There is no rule that we must close our eyes, and like you mentioned, if we are to pray without ceasing, then surely we are not expected to close our eyes 24 hours a day. (especially not when we're driving) *smile*

    The Holy Spirit is also available to help decipher our heart cries and prayers when we are not able to put it all into words. And I am so thankful for that!

    Romans 8:26-27 "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God."


    http://remnantpostings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these thoughts on prayer. I have the habit of praying anytime and anywhere and my eyes are open especially when driving. My grandmother taught me to always carry a prayer in my heart which means I can pray anytine. Heavenly Father does want to hear from his children.
    Living Waters by LeAnn
    Google comments are having a problem so this is on Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this very interesting but true. Constant prayer is always a good thing. If your praying all the time with your eyes closed, then you would never get to see the things that God has created for us, nut if you pray with your eyes open, you can see where you're going, and you are able to talk to God all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I like to pray with my eyes open...especially when driving! I always pray when going to work. Somehow when my eyes are open I feel closer to God. I am having a real conversation so when I talk to Him I look up. I really like your posts and what you have to say in "Feeling Down". I will be following you. Come on over to my sight and follow me also.
    God Bless you...Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray all the time. Sure I've been caught "talking to myself". Sure I look a little crazy. No one has to know that I have an ongoing conversation with Him day-in and day-out! :) One of my best prayertimes is when I walk Lexi, my dog. Now that blue-tooths have been invented, maybe people will think I'm on the phone! LOL

    ReplyDelete